What Causes the Icing to Stick to the Backing Paper?
Humidity is the primary reason why the icing image gets stuck to the backing paper. In a moist room, the icing collects moisture, effectively ‘clinging’ to the backing sheet.
Simple hacks to peel off the edible icing from the backing
Table Edge Rescue: If the icing is starting to peel away as you bend the backing, use the edge of a table to help release it. An important thing to note is that you are trying to peel the backing away from the icing, and not the other way round since the icing is very delicate. Run the backing sheet back and forth over the table-top corner and you should see it starting to loosen. You can then get a sharp knife under the icing to help gently lift it away from the backing.
Drying time and method can depend on the ambient humidity. In some cases, the humidity can be so high the topper will not easily lift from the backing. If this happens, we recommend the following methods that have all worked successfully:
1. Pull the backing sheet over the sharp edge of your worktop or table. This will loosen it enough to be able to carefully slide a sharp knife under the topper to remove it from the backing.
2. Use a hairdryer on the reverse side of the backing sheet on high for 3-5 minutes. This method is very reliable and should release the topper and allow it to lift off the backing
REMEMBER THE ONLY REASON THAT THE TOPPER WILL NOT EASILY COME OFF IS THAT IT IS STILL WET.
We offer Free Delivery to anywhere in Ireland on our Edible Prints. Standard pre-designed toppers ordered before 2pm are posted the same day. Custom Designs where a draft is requested are also posted the same day once approved before 2pm.
We do not use a courier service, we use standard letter post with An Post to send out all our toppers, so it will come with your postman, they will usually arrive the next working day from the day it is posted but you do need to allow 1-2 working days. Postal delays do occur so please plan ahead and order accordingly, especially during COVID19. Post may vary also during postal strikes and holiday times of the year.
We recommend ordering your edible print the 1-2 weeks before you need it. but not any sooner as colours may fade on the topper. We do not hold toppers to be posted at a later date they are processed and posted as soon as possible. The required by date is only used for busy periods when we need to prioritise orders.
Toppers are posted in an A4 DO NOT BEND hardback envelope.
There is no post in Ireland at weekends or Bank Holidays, so toppers ordered after 2pm on a Friday are not processed and posted until Monday or Tuesday if Monday is a bank holiday.
During annual busy periods such as Christmas/New Year once the item is posted either the same day or the next working day, we will not accept responsibility for postal delays. It is up to you the customer to understand there may be delays and to allow extra time for postage during these periods. We do not refund for toppers that are delayed in the post.
If you place an order for a topper on Thursdays we cannot guarantee that it will arrive for the weekend. You are taking the risk and 99% of the time they do arrive, but we do not give refunds if it does not arrive on time, as we do recommend allowing at least the minimum of 1-2 working days for delivery.
A delivery charge of €5 applies to other products in the store.
UK & INTERNATIONAL: There is an extra charge of €5.00 for delivery to the UK and €7.00 for the rest of the world. Delivery time is generally 5-10 Working Days. But please allow time for any delays, there have been longer delays due to Brexit and COVID19
Caketop.ie is an online-based store based in Ireland. We cannot facilitate collection for last-minute orders.
WE DO NOT OFFER EXPRESS DELIVERY
At Caketop.ie we are confident that you will be happy with the quality of your topper. Unfortunately, due to food hygiene regulations, we cannot accept returns, for any toppers ordered in error, change of mind, not received in time.
Orders for Edible Picture Toppers cannot be cancelled once they have been processed.
Toppers can only be refunded if they are damaged in the post or sent with the wrong wording or design, that we have incorrectly printed, if this is the case, please send us a photograph of the error and a replacement will then be posted out or a refund is given if there is no time to send a replacement.
During the summer months, humid weather can affect the toppers and make them more difficult to remove, we provide instructions on how to overcome this with your topper and in the FAQ section on the website. Once the topper is dry it will release from the backing. This is not a fault with the product, it can happen with any fondant products. We do not refund due to difficulty with removing the topper during humid conditions.
We are continually uploading popular toppers, but it is impossible to have everything on the site.
The quickest way if you are looking for a topper that you do not see listed is to use the Custom Design| Create your own option to upload any image or tell us what you need and we will design one up for you. Should you require it we can email you a draft before posting. (Please keep a check on junk/spam folders for emails of drafts.) If you have any problem uploading an image then please just place the order and email the image to us at email@example.com
We recommend ordering your topper 1-2 weeks before you need it, to allow for any delays, errors, etc that can occasionally occur. orders are processed immediately once they come in, We do not hold orders to post nearer the time. We do not recommend ordering more than 2 weeks beforehand as toppers may become harder to use due to humidity or colours may fade.ccordion Content
No collection is not possible under any circumstances at the minute.
APPLYING YOUR TOPPER
• Have your cake ready. For the best results, your frosting or icing should not be dry or have skin prior to placing the edible picture. If your icing has become dry, spray a fine mist of water (do not have puddles of water) on your frosting before applying the edible picture Various icings can be used such as buttercream, store-bought frosting, icings, fondant, gum paste, whipped cream or non-dairy topping, fudge, chocolate, and even frozen ice cream cakes. Your frosting should be level for the best results.
• On a fresh cream cake the topper can soak into the cake, so If using on a fresh cream cake, we recommend that you cut a layer of fondant the size of your icing sheet and then place this onto the cake.
• Images are best applied to light coloured icing. Dark colours will make it hard for the image to be visible or can distort the colour of the icing sheet once applied. However, if you need to apply to a dark colour icing, we would recommend applying the icing sheet to white fondant and then applying this to your cake.
• Remove your edible picture sheet from the airtight bag. Your edible picture is cut and ready to use. If you have ordered a custom size you need to cut your edible image using sharp scissors or a sharp razor knife gently cut 1/8″ around the image(s) while on the plastic white backing sheet. Make sure your fingers are not moist when handling the edible picture.
• Simply peel away the topper from the backing and place it on your cake. • Once the edible picture has been on the cake for about 5 to 10 minutes it will begin to blend with the frosting. Do Not Touch It; it can leave a dent just like frosting does when touched. • If the edible picture crease or rips while placing, very gently rub the area back together and it hardly shows.
- Shelf Life of the Icing Sheet is 6 months once stored in the grip seal bag it comes in. YOU CAN REMOVE THE TOPPER TO CHECK IT WHEN IT ARRIVES & THEN PLACE IT BACK IN THE BAG UNTIL YOU NEED IT. They do not need refrigeration! Keep the picture in this bag until you are ready to use it.
- Keep the picture at room temperature, out of any direct light • Use an Edible Picture immediately after removing it from the bag. • Store your finished decorated cake with an Edible Picture as normally required for safe food handling. Edible Pictures will not affect the shelf life of your product and are freezer, refrigerator and shelf-stable.
- DO NOT LET WATER COME IN CONTACT WITH THE TOP SIDE OF THE EDIBLE PICTURE BEFORE OR AFTER ON THE CAKE.
When the images are printed out onto icing sheets, the colour may not be exactly the same as on the computer screen. It tends to be a few shades different, but not usually that noticeable
- We would recommend with cupcakes to either place on a flat swirl of buttercream or use a fondant disc under them to support them. This can be very easily made by cutting a circle out of flat fondant icing waiting for it to dry out (a couple of hours) then VERY lightly brush with water and place icing topper on top.
For cupcake toppers, we recommend cutting a 2″ circle disc out of roll out fondant and leave to dry overnight then apply a small amount of water to the fondant once dry and attach your image pat down gently taking care not to wet the front side of the image as the colours will run.
Yes, we can put any photo on a topper, just use the custom design|create your own to place your order where you can upload your photo, and we will then design and email you a draft of your topper before posting.
Yes, we can print more than one picture on a sheet. You can upload up to 6 images using the custom design|create your own the first image is included in the cost of the sheet and it is 50c for each upload after that
Yes, we can print anything on an icing sheet, just use the create your own and order a A4 sheet, upload your image(s) and let us know the dimensions that you want them. Select the draft required and we will send you a draft of it for approval. Below are some samples of ones we have done that are ready for you to cut out. If you’re not sure what size you need, we can give a few size options on a sheet for you to choose from.
Cakes generally shouldn’t be refrigerated after the topper is applied as it may damage the colours on the topper. If you need to you can lightly mist or baste water on the fondant icing or buttercream if it’s crusted, and place the image onto the cake closer to the time it is being served rather than placing it it in the fridge.
The icing on your cake can be any colour, but as the topper is made from very thin icing so dark colours or chocolate may not always be suitable. Try white chocolate instead or cut out a disc of white fondant to go behind the topper this should be about the same size and shape as the topper. Place the topper on the disc and put this on your cake. Otherwise you should apply it just before serving the cake, before the photo it has time to absorb the moisture.
Caketop.ie is an online shop based in Ireland. We cannot facilitate collections, and only send out toppers via post.
Once ordered before 2pm any day we will process and post your order. If you have taken a risk and ordered on short notice, 99% of toppers will arrive the next day. Many customers do take the risk and receive them the next day,. However, we do not guarantee that your topper will arrive in time and unfortunately can do nothing about it if it doesn’t. You are ordering at your own risk.
Once ordered before 2pm any day your topper is posted and you should receive it in the post the next day. Even on a Thursday if you order before 2pm you should receive it on Friday. Many of our customers have taken a risk on this and received them. However, while 99% of our toppers are delivered next day, we cannot guarantee this, as delays can occur on occasion.
If you accidentally tear the topper – DON’T PANIC! Rub very gently with a dry finger and it will merge back together and the tear will disappear after an hour or so.
The shelf Life of the Icing Sheet is 6 months once stored in the grip seal bag it comes in. They do not need refrigeration! Keep the picture in this bag until you are ready to use it. We do not however recommend order more than 2 weeks before your event as humidity can affect them or colours may fade.
Almost Any kind of cake suitable. You can use a shop bought one or bake yourself or a bakers cake. The icing sheets can be applied to sponge, royal icing, fruit, chocolate, buttercream etc. If using on a wet icing like buttercream we would recommend applying as close to the occasion time as possible and applying onto a backing disc of roll out fondant.
Fresh cream is not the best cake topping to use for edible images and should really try to be avoided, the water content is too high and the image may bubble or disintegrate into the cream.
Unfortunately no we have no way to process payments over the phone or through Facebook messages. All orders must be placed via the website.
Please ensure that everything on the product order that is marked with a red star is answered. Please ensure you have chosen the size topper, added the message and date that you require the topper, and ticked any of the boxes required. The product will not add to your basket if any of these sections are not answered. If you still have difficulty please send us a screenshot via email or messenger and we can help you.
No we do not offer Express Delivery.